Instruments: Guitar, Beginner Violin
Jazz, Rock, Pop
Location: Rockville, Potomac, Bethesda, NW DC
Why I work well with kids?
With students, I’m able to maintain a good balance between having fun/goofing around and being serious and getting work done! Kids look up to me and respect me. I can relate to them well, and enjoy teaching and learning from them.
Cristy K. Bio and Resume
Location of Birth: New York City
I started playing the guitar as a freshman in high school. Prior to making it my principal instrument, I studied classical violin for thirteen years. After volunteering for Americorps after high school, I went on to pursue music in school. I am currently attending Montgomery College in Rockville, MD as a music major, and will go on to pursue a bachelors degree in music at a four year university after next year. I have years of experience working with students of all ages in after-school programs, classroom settings, summer camps, and as a tutor.
Aided a woman with cerebral palsy in performing everyday tasks.
• Drove her to and from work, appointments, and helped her with any errands that needed to be completed
• Prepared healthy meals daily
• Assisted with personal hygiene and health
• Walk, fed, and cared for her personal guide dog
YMCA of Greater Boston
The YMCA is an organization that provides local residents and students with gymnasiums, community centers, and after-school programs that help enrich lives.
• Oversaw groups of up to 30 students in an afterschool program
• Assisted students in completing homework assignments
• Lead arts and crafts projects, science activities, and physical exercises for students
City Year Boston
City Year is a non-profit organization that is founded on the belief that young people from all over the nation can change the world. City Year corps members serve for a full year as tutors, mentors, and role models to youth in different communities.
• Led a team of seven corps members in creating and implementing a weekend leadership development program for middle school aged youth
• Supervised three service coordinators in planning service projects for 150 middle school students on Saturdays
• Managed one advisory board coordinator in designing bi-weekly intensive leadership trainings for ten select students
• Maintained computer database containing youth medical forms and applications
• Recruited youth from the Boston area to participate in a weekend leadership development and community service program
• Organized and managed weekend leadership development and community service program for youth
• Planned workshops and service projects for 150 middle school students on Saturdays
• Mentored fourth grade students once a week with homework help and activities that assist in building practical skills
• Led a team of twelve students and facilitated activities, discussions, and service projects with them
Literacy/ Math Tutoring-Salt Lake City Public Elementary School
Assisted in developing reading and math skills with a group of 24 third grade students.
• Taught third grade students basic vocabulary and reading skills
• Demonstrated basic conflict resolution skills through workshops and activities
• Established bi-monthly study groups providing support in reading and writing for struggling students
• Designed and facilitated arts and crafts projects for third grade students once a week
La Europa Academy
High school degree, Class of 2007
Honors in Orchestra, Honors in AATF National French Exam
A.A. in Music
Class of 2013
Language: Fluent in spanish, conversational in french
Technical: Experience with Power Point, Word, Excel, Publisher, typing
Musical: Writing and reading music, music theory, over ten years of experience with violin and guitar.
Most Influential Musicians/Bands:
I love all kinds of music! Jimi Hendrix, Wes Montgomery, Wayne Shorter, John Coltrane, Erykah Badu, Esperanza Spalding, Fania All-Stars, Charlie Parker, Adele, MIA, Tribe Called Quest, Beethoven, Bob Marley. The list goes on..
“Lost time is never found again.”
~ Benjamin Franklin
Bridesmaids, Pan’s Labyrinth, Zoolander, Pulp Fiction, The Switch, The Sandlot, Titanic, The Karate Kid (original)
All over the U.S. and Puerto Rico!
How Friends Describe You:
Positive, funny, fun, energetic, hardworking
Practicing! Also, I like to read, discover new music, spend time with friends, and hike
Tags: americorps, bachelors degree, city year, education, government, government of the united states, guitar instruction, guitars, montgomery college, montgomery county, music major, private guitar lessons, Private Lessons, rockville, school program, united states
Trackback from your site.